Back to School: Nursing

Back to School

This time of year has most parents thinking about kids going back to school. If starting a career with us at North Sunflower Medical Center interests you, it might be a good time to think about going back to school yourself.

I know. I know. Just the thought of going back to school can be frightening. But every time we post about saying “We’re Hiring!” we get a flood of emails, website traffic, and social media visits. And for good reasons. We try to make working at North Sunflower feel like being part of a family. Health care jobs are stable positions right here in Ruleville – and they can never be outsourced overseas.

Many of the jobs we are hiring do require some training. But getting into a program may not be as difficult you think. Several local colleges close to Ruleville have classes and programs that can get you started towards a career in health care.

Coahoma Community College

Coahoma Community College in Clarksdale has courses that can help students get certified as Nursing Assistants or EMTs after just one semester.

Beverly Overton, Dean of Health Sciences at CCC told us that students need to have an official high school diploma or a GED certificate. You also need a TABE score of 10 in Nursing Assistant and in EMT TABE score of 10 or ACT score of 16 or higher. If your TABE score doesn’t meet the requirements, they can help you prepare for the Adult Basic Education Assessment test. You can find a full list of requirements on the CCC website.

The courses cost $850 but that includes everything from textbooks to uniforms to stethoscopes. Even the fee to take the state certification exam is covered. And many of those students get hired before the semester is over. “I like to work with students to make sure Health Care is the right fit for them,” Beverly told us. “This can be a good, stable career if you like to care for people, but it’s not for everybody.”

If you decide that health care is the right field for you, Beverly told us the EMT and NA courses are great ways to start. You can work on a one year certificate in Practical Nursing, and a certificate and/or two-year Associate degree in Paramedic or other health related professions. “We have new facilities at CCC and an administration that really supports health science programs,” Beverly said.

Mississippi Delta Community College & Delta State University

If you live closer to Indianola, Mississippi Delta Community College in Morehead also offers a great health sciences program. They have courses in everything from Associate Nursing Degrees to Radiologic Tech. And if you already know you are interested in becoming a Registered Nurse, we work closely with Delta State University in Cleveland. We hire many of their recent graduates.

We’re Hiring Now!

If you’ve already got your state certification as a Lab Tech, an LPN or have a background in Maintenance, let us know. We’d love to talk to you now. We are always looking for great people to become part of the North Sunflower family!